How to Apply
Step 1: Apply to the University of North Texas
Apply online through ApplyTexas or The Common Application. After you apply to UNT and pay the application fee, you will receive an email which includes your Student ID# and EUID. The process to receive these items may take several weeks. Follow the directions in that email to activate your student account, then you may proceed to Step 2 to apply to the College of Music. Please note you can begin the music application once you receive the login information - you do not need to wait until your UNT admission decision has been made.
Admission to the College of Music is contingent upon admission to the University of North Texas. Please refer to the UNT Admissions website for more information.
Step 2: Apply to the College of Music
Complete the College of Music application through Acceptd (opens September 1 each year):
- Select 'Undergraduate Degrees' as your Level in the Start an Application box beneath the UNT logo
- Select your Area (Brass, Jazz, Keyboard, Percussion, Strings, Voice, Woodwinds)
- Select your Program (this is the primary instrument or voice on which you will audition)
- After you begin the application, you will indicate your desired degree(s) – e.g., composition, jazz studies, music education, performance, theory, or the bachelor of arts.
This is your application for audition, admission, and music merit scholarships. The application will require you to submit names and email addresses of three people whom you wish to submit music recommendations on your behalf. Only complete applications can be submitted. The music application fee is $12.
Step 3: Complete the audition
Live auditions are requested through the College of Music application. Applicants invited for a live audition will be notified through email of their scheduled audition day/time. Please note certain areas require a screening (preliminary audition) video. Information regarding the screening is availabe within the area listing on the repertoire pages:
-Classical audition requirements: http://www.music.unt.edu/admissions/undergraduate-repertoire
-Jazz audition requirements: http://jazz.unt.edu/admission-auditions
In addition to the audition, applicants in composition, music education and theory who audition on-campus, will participate in an interview with faculty. Instructions for arranging the interview will be included in the audition confirmation email you receive from firstname.lastname@example.org.
While live auditions are preferred, we do accept high quality video auditions if you are unable to audition in person. Follow the instructions on the College of Music application to submit your video audition.
Applicants are notified of admission results by email after the final on-campus audition date.
SPRING 2019 ADMISSION – Acceptance of spring applications is determined in mid-September of each year based on studio space and ensemble needs. Email email@example.com to inquire if your instrument/voice will accept applications. Applications for Spring 2019 admission consdieration must be complete on or before THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 1, 2018, if applicable.
FALL 2019 ADMISSION – To be considered for admission in the fall semester, preference will be given to applications received by Monday, December 3, 2018. Applications received after that date will be reviewed, and auditions will be scheduled on a case-by-case basis depending on space availability. Applications and auditions for Fall 2019 admission consideration must be complete on or before MONDAY, FEBRUARY 25, 2019*.
*Final deadline to submit video auditions for Classical Piano is Friday, February 1, 2019
*Final deadline to submit video auditions for Classical Violin is Wednesday, February 20, 2019
The National Association of Schools of Music Code of Ethics Article V. requires that the acceptance of financial aid or the signing of a declaration of intent to attend a given institution shall not be binding if signed before May 1, of the calendar year of matriculation into a program of study at the undergraduate level.
- When you have been accepted by the University, UNT Admissions will send information about registering for an Orientation session.
- The UNT College of Music application also serves as your scholarship application. Announcement of awards typically begin on the first Monday in April.
- We encourage all applicants to complete the UNT General Academic Scholarship Application.
Other campus offices which you might need to contact:
- Housing (http://housing.unt.edu)
- Student Financial Aid and Scholarship Office (http://essc.unt.edu/finaid/index.htm)