How to Apply
Step 1: Apply to the University of North Texas
Apply online through ApplyTexas or The Common Application. After you apply to UNT, you will receive an email which includes your UNT Student ID#. The Student ID# is processed by the UNT Admissions Office two to three business days after your application is submitted. Please note you cannot submit the music application until you receive the Student ID# - you do not need to wait until your UNT admission decision has been made prior to applying to the College of Music.
Admission to the College of Music is contingent upon successful admission to the University of North Texas. Please refer to the UNT Admissions website for more information.
Step 2: Apply to the College of Music
Complete the College of Music application through Acceptd (opens September 1 each year):
- Select 'Undergraduate Degrees' as your Level in the Start an Application box beneath the UNT logo
- Select your Area (Brass, Critical Studies, Electronics, Jazz, Keyboard, Percussion, Strings, Voice, Woodwinds)
- Select your Program (this is the primary area for which you will audition or submit a portfolio)
- After you begin the application, you will indicate your desired degree(s) – e.g., composition, jazz studies, music education, performance, or the bachelor of arts.
This is your application for audition, admission, and music merit scholarships. The application will require you to submit names and email addresses of three people whom you wish to submit music recommendations on your behalf. Only complete applications can be submitted, including the submission of video auditions (if applicable). The music application fee is $30.
Step 3: Complete the audition/interview
Auditions will occur in one of two ways:
- Live Audition/Interview – Will occur on campus in Denton on our specified dates. Applicants invited for a live audition/interview will be notified through Acceptd messaging of their scheduled day/time.
- Final Video Audition – Available for applicants who are unable to attend the auditions in person and/or who apply after live auditions are full and closed. Following review of the video audition, our faculty might require an interview or virtual audition if additional information is needed.
Please note, a screening (preliminary video audition) is required for live audition consideration for many areas. Information regarding the screening is available within the area listing on the repertoire pages:
-Classical audition requirements: http://www.music.unt.edu/admissions/undergraduate-repertoire
-Jazz audition requirements: http://jazz.unt.edu/admission-auditions
In addition to the audition, applicants in composition and music education who audition on-campus, will participate in an interview with faculty. The interviews will be scheduled by our staff a few weeks prior to your confirmed audition date. Those who apply by final video audition might be asked to complete a virtual interview before a final admission music decision is made.
SPRING 2024 ADMISSION – Acceptance of spring applications is determined in mid-September based on studio space and ensemble needs for each area. Email firstname.lastname@example.org in September to inquire if your area will accept applications. We encourage you to do this prior to submitting the application to UNT. Applications and video auditions for Spring 2024 admission consideration (if applicable) must be submitted on or before NOVEMBER 1, 2023.
FALL 2024 ADMISSION – To be considered for admission in the fall semester, preference will be given to applications received by Monday, December 4, 2023. Applications received after that date will be reviewed, and auditions/interviews will be scheduled until all live spots are closed. If by the time you apply live auditions/interviews are full, you will be given the opportunity to submit a final video audition prior to the deadline. The final deadline to submit the music application and video auditions for most areas is MONDAY, FEBRUARY 19, 2024*.
*Final deadline to submit video auditions/portfolios for Classical and Jazz Piano, Critical Studies, Electronics, and Jazz Voice is February 1, 2024
- Applicants are notified of admission results by email/through Acceptd in mid-March.
- We ask admitted music majors to accept or decline our offer of admission by May 1st each year.
- Cost of Attendance
- Tuition and Fee Estimator
- When you have been accepted by the University, UNT Admissions will send information about registering for an Orientation session.
- Admitted music students are encouraged to register for a session early in the summer, if possible.
- The UNT College of Music application also serves as your music scholarship application.
- Announcement of music awards (if applicable) typically begins in late March or early April.
- We encourage all applicants to create a profile in the Eagle Scholarship Portal which will match you to scholarship opportunities based on your responses.
Other campus offices which you might need to contact: