How to Apply
Step 1: Apply to the University of North Texas
Apply online to the UNT Toulouse Graduate School through ApplyTexas https://tgs.unt.edu/future-students/graduate-admissions. There is a fee for this application. After you apply to UNT, you will receive an email which includes your UNT Student ID#. The Student ID# is processed by the UNT Admissions Office two to three business days after your application is submitted. Please note you cannot submit the music application until you receive the Student ID#.
Step 2: Apply to the UNT College of Music
Complete the College of Music application through Acceptd (opens September 1 each year):
- Select 'Graduate Degrees' as your Level in the Start an Application box beneath the UNT logo
- Select your Area (Brass, Composition, Conducting, Electronics, Jazz, Keyboard, Percussion, Strings, Voice, Woodwinds)
- Select your Program (this is the primary area to which you will apply)
This is your application for audition, admission, and music merit awards. The application will require you to submit names and email addresses of three people whom you wish to submit music recommendations on your behalf. Only complete applications can be submitted, including the submission of video auditions (if applicable). The music application fee is $30.
Step 3: Complete the audition*
Applicants for admission to the M.M. or D.M.A. degree programs in performance or Graduate Artist Certificate in Music Performance (GAC) must pass an admission audition before a faculty panel. Live auditions are preferred for both music admission and award consideration.
Auditions will occur in one of two ways:
- Live Audition/Interview – Will occur on campus in Denton on our specified dates. Applicants invited for a live audition/interview will be notified through Acceptd messaging of their scheduled day/time.
- Final Video Audition – Available for applicants who are unable to attend the auditions in person and/or who apply after live auditions are full and closed. Following review of the video audition, our faculty might require an interview or virtual audition if additional information is needed.
Please note, a screening (preliminary video audition) is required for live audition consideration. Information regarding the screening is available within the area listing on the repertoire pages:
Applicants for admission to the M.M. and D.M.A. degree programs in conducting must submit the College of Music application and preliminary audition video by the first Monday in December. Qualified applicants will be invited to campus for a live audition and interview. For information regarding the conducting requirements, please see the degree-specific admission requirements.
*M.A., M.M. Jazz Composition/Arranging, M.M.Ed. and Ph.D. applicants need only complete steps 1 and 2. In lieu of an audition, applicants to these programs will submit a portfolio. Qualified candidates will be invited to participate in an interview.
SPRING 2024 ADMISSION – Acceptance of spring applications is determined in mid-September based on studio space and ensemble needs for each area. Email firstname.lastname@example.org in September to inquire if your area will accept applications. We encourage you to do this prior to submitting the application to UNT. Applications and video auditions for Spring 2024 admission consideration (if applicable) must be submitted on or before NOVEMBER 1, 2023.
FALL 2024 ADMISSION – To be considered for admission in the fall semester, preference will be given to applications received by Monday, December 4, 2023. Applications received after that date will be reviewed, and auditions/interviews will be scheduled until all live spots are closed.
Performance applicants: If by the time you apply live auditions are full, you will be given the opportunity to submit a final video audition prior to the deadline. The final deadline to submit the music application and video auditions for most areas is MONDAY, FEBRUARY 19, 2024*.
*Final deadline to submit video auditions/portfolios for Classical and Jazz Piano, and Jazz Voice is February 1, 2024
The deadline for full-year and summers-only MMEd applicants is April 1, 2024.
Information regarding the MBA in Music Business application process and deadline can be found here https://cob.unt.edu/masters/mba-music.
Information Regarding Degree Certifications/Diplomas/Transcripts:
Transcripts from international institutions can be uploaded as a PDF directly to your UNT to-do-list. You will access this by logging in to https://my.unt.edu and selecting the Admissions tile. You must include a copy in the native language with certified English translation of the transcripts and degree certification/diploma.
Official transcripts from the domestic (US) institution(s) you attended are required and should be sent directly from that institution to the Toulouse Graduate School. If the school has an electronic transcript service (preferred method of submission), the email address is email@example.com. If not, they should be mailed to:
U.S. Postal Service:
Toulouse Graduate School
1155 Union Circle #305459
Denton, TX 76203-5017
Toulouse Graduate School Admissions
1147 Union Circle, ESSC 354
Denton, TX 76203-5459
- Applicants are notified of admission results by email/through Acceptd in mid-March.
- We ask admitted music majors to accept or decline our offer of admission by April 15th each year.
- Cost of Attendance
- Tuition and Fee Estimator
Scholarships, Assistantships and Fellowships:
- The UNT College of Music application also serves as your music scholarship application.
- Announcement of music awards (if applicable) typically begins in late March or early April.
- Applicants are encouraged to contact the faculty in their area to discuss additional materials (if applicable) required for assistantship or fellowship consideration.
- We encourage all applicants to create a profile in the Eagle Scholarship Portal which will match you to scholarship opportunities based on your responses.
Other campus offices which you might need to contact:
Degree Plans, Orientation, Placement Exams: