Prospective and Transfer Students
Thank you for your interest in the College of Music at UNT. Below you’ll find helpful links and information.
We offer virtual and in-person tours of the College of Music Monday-Friday when classes are in session. Visit http://tours.unt.edu/ to view availability and schedule both your campus tour and music tour. You will learn about the admission, application, audition, and scholarship procedures followed by a walking tour of our facilities guided by a current music major. The walking portion of the tour includes sitting in on ensemble rehearsals, as available. There is much to see and hear, so we hope you will join us!
College of Music Application and Admission
If you are not a current Music major at UNT you can find more information about how to apply here: music.unt.edu/admissions
University of North Texas Information
- UNT Admissions: https://goapplytexas.org.
- International students may use the link at: https://international.unt.edu.
- Student Housing
Orientation and Academic Advising
Your first advising session occurs during New Student Orientation. You can find more information about how to register for Freshman or Transfer orientation here:https://studentaffairs.unt.edu/orientation-and-transition-programs/programs/orientation
After orientation you may meet with Academic Advisors and Counselors each semester to help you plan your courses and track your degree progression.
You can find more information about College of Music Advisors and Counselors here:
Undergraduate Degree Plans
We offer Bachelor or Music and Bachelor of Arts degrees in Music. Below you will find a list of Music degrees you can pursue at UNT.
To view the required music courses for each Music degree click on the title of the degree. You will see a complete listing of classes for that major. In addition to the music course requirements, students must also complete the University Core Curriculum. Here are links to the Music-specific University Core Curriculum and the General University Core Curriculum.
Once you are a student at UNT you will be able to access your personalized Interactive Degree audit through www.MyDegreeAudit.unt.edu.
Degree Plans for 2021-2022
- Instrumental Performance
- Jazz Studies
- Keyboard Performance
- Music (Bachelor of Arts program)
- Music Education (General, Choral and Instrumental Music with Teacher Certification)
- Vocal Performance
Prospective Transfer Students
UNT and the College of Music welcome transfer students. You can find more information about applying to UNT as a transfer student here:
You will find useful information such as transfer admission requirements, application deadlines, scholarship opportunities and much more.
UNT provides a comprehensive list of course sequencing maps to ensure that students take the appropriate courses for timely degree completion. You can find that list here:
Transferred music courses that will apply for UNT music degree requirements:
- Music Theory and Aural Skills (up to four semesters of each) with grade of “C” or better. Some UNT Music Programs require grades of “B” or better in music theory.
- One introductory course in music history
- Large Performance Ensembles (choir, band, orchestra) – we can take up to half or a maximum of 4 credits for music labs (choir, band, orchestra)
- Chamber Music/Small Ensembles (performance majors only) – up to three semesters of participation will be applied to performance degree requirements. Please note: transferring lower level chamber groups may require additional advanced electives at UNT to meet degree minimums.