Nick and Anna Ricco, long-time UNT donors, created an ethics scholarship competition in 2011. The competition was created to promote intellectual debate and discussion on ethics as related to students’ areas of study at UNT, their field of vocation or their avocation. The goal is to stimulate the applicants to new heights of reasoning and self-discipline. Applicants for the 2019 competition must submit an essay on a Case Study Topic.
Awards of $1,000 each will be granted to one student from each college or school at UNT. As an added incentive for music students to participate, the College of Music will add matching funds to enhance the award to the winner as well as providing awards to our 2nd and 3rd prize winners:
- 1st prize = $1000 + $1000 COM match
- 2nd prize = $1000
- 3rd prize = $500
Entries are accepted online only, on the Mayborn School of Journalism Ricco Ethics Award website: The deadline is January 31, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. Recognition will be given at University Honors Day in spring 2019. Please see the attached document for additional information.
- Minimum entrance and continuing academic performance standards in place at the school or college in effect at the time of any award
- Full or part-time enrollment in any undergraduate or graduate degree-granting program at UNT.
- Submit a PDF of a 1,000-word maximum essay, double-spaced excluding bibliography. The essay will highlight what the applicant believes to be the epitome of ethical behavior in his or her focus of study or field of business. Students may use any UNT faculty member for guidance in this competition.
- All participants must agree to the posting of his or her name and essay to the college’s website, if declared the winner.