UNT | University of North Texas

Search form

Main menu

M.M. and D.M.A. Performance

Admission Requirements:

  • Apply for admission to UNT through the Toulouse Graduate School (tsgs.unt.edu).
  • Apply for admission to the College of Music with the application for admission, audition, scholarship, fellowship and assistantships available on this website.
  • Submit the following through the online music application:
      • Resume or curriculum vitae detailing your professional experience, honors and awards
      • Repertoire List (last five years)
      • Statement of career objectives
      • Three letters of recommendation
  • Candidates for Master's and Doctoral Performance programs must pass an audition on the required repertoire for their instrument or voice. Please see Graduate Audition Repertoire for a complete listing of required audition repertoire.
  • Evaluation of transcripts from previous degree(s): N.B. Please DO NOT send transcripts to the College of Music. They are part of your application to UNT’s Toulouse Graduate School. After Toulouse evaluates your documents, they will forward copies to the College of Music for review. Your transcripts will be evaluated for coursework deficiencies and notification of required courses will be sent by the Graduate Studies Office after you receive notice of your admission.
  • A graduate admissions test is required as part of your admission to the university. For Performance majors, this requirement can be fulfilled by an acceptable GRE analytical writing score, or an in-house Graduate Writing Exam.
  • The in-house Graduate Writing Exam is administered during orientation week, along with the GPE. The writing exam must reflect the candidate's ability to write cohesively. It must be in English approximately 600-1000 words in length. Evaluators will review the exam for command of the English language, the ability to present an argument in a cogent manner, and evidence of critical thinking.
  • Attend all orientation sessions scheduled by the Director of Graduate Studies in Music
  • Take the Graduate Placement Examinations (GPE) given by the College of Music during new student orientation - held the week before classes begin