College of Music Response to Coronavirus Emergency
March 24, 2020 - until further notice
This information relates to changes being made beginning Tuesday, March 24 and have occurred with the leadership of the UNT Provost, the College of Music, its deans, faculty and staff.
NOTE: This page reflects the most current and approved information related to activities of the College of Music. The information addresses processes and expectations to College of Music students, faculty and staff as a one stop source of reliable information.
For communication updates concerning the wider UNT campus, visit https://healthalerts.unt.edu/
If you have additional questions, please e-mail Matt Hardman, Director of Communication, Marketing and Public Relations at Matt.Hardman@unt.edu. Your question/concern will be routed to the appropriate individual.
- All concerts have been cancelled for the remainder of the Spring 2020 semester.
- Patrons who purchased tickets for Spring 2020 performances of a College of Music ensemble will be contacted directly for refund options.
- Courses that were fully online at the start of the semester will continue as they are.
- Blended courses that started this semester will continue, but in a fully online format.
- All chamber music, ensembles, and laboratories have met the requisite contact-time* They are concluded for the Spring, 2020 semester.
- All academic music classes will be delivered in an online environment.
- SUMMER 2020: All instruction will be online. Those who are scheduled to teach should begin the process of preparing any face-to-face classes for an online environment.
- All classroom piano classes for non-music majors and music majors have met the requisite contact time.They are concluded for the Spring 2020 semester.**
- Information is pending regarding the piano proficiency.
- No applied lessons may be taught face-to-face on campus or in an off-site setting, including personal residences.
- All applied lessons will be delivered in an online environment, preferably using Zoom***. Applied lesson grades will be based on the students’ work during the semester and, if requested by the applied instructor, an uploaded video (unaccompanied or with pre-recorded accompaniment) of designated repertoire.
- All scheduled rehearsals in any of the performance spaces are cancelled.
- Face-to-face juries are cancelled.
- All studio classes and departmentals are cancelled.
- The process for Proficiencies and Upper Divisional Exams will be will be determined by each division (Jazz Studies, Keyboard Studies, Vocal Studies, and Instrumental Studies).
- There are to be no accompanists present in any lesson, rehearsal, class or recording – at any time.
Degree Recitals and Graduate Exams
- DMA and PhD qualifying exams will be scheduled online using the platform Respondus.Students and major professors will be notified directly.
- All final MM and DMA oral exams should be conducted using Zoom.***
- All degree recitals have been cancelled for the remainder of the semester. Recital grades may be based on work already completed or by an uploaded video of an unaccompanied performance or a performance with a pre-recorded accompaniment.
- DMA lecture recitals have been addressed with each student and their major professor.
- Doctoral qualifying exams will take place as scheduled.
- Graduate Academic Advisors are working remotely and are accessible from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Undergraduate Academic Advisors are working remotely and are accessible from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Staff and Administration
- All deans, chairs, and staff are accessible by email and Zoom from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Building Hours: Starting on Tuesday, March 24 until further notice:
- CLOSED: Music Building, Music Annex, Murchison Performing Arts Center, Music Practice Buildings North and South, Bain Hall and Chilton Hall.
- Campus Safety and Security
- The University of North Texas Police Department continues monitoring ALL sectors of campus. Emergency calls should continue to be reported by calling 9-1-1. The UNT police department phone number is 940-565-3000.
- Faculty: Visit https://TeachAnywhere.unt.edu for assistance in delivering your class online.
- Students: Visit https://online.unt.edu/canvas-basics-unt-students to learn the Canvas Basics.
- Students: Visit http://learnanywhere.unt.edu detailed information regarding instruction plans for the remainder of the spring semester.
- Students - International Affairs: https://international.unt.edu/
- Students - Office of Disability Services: https://disability.unt.edu/
- Students - Student Counseling: https://studentaffairs.unt.edu/student-counseling
- Students - CARE Team: https://deanofstudents.unt.edu/resources/care-team
- Student Health - Student Health and Wellness Center: https://studentaffairs.unt.edu/student-health-and-wellness-center/billing-and-insurance
- Student Health -Toulouse Graduate School: https://tgs.unt.edu/insurance
- Student Unemployment - Texas Workforce Commission: https://twc.texas.gov/news/covid-19-resources-job-seekers
- Financial: Billboard Magazine - https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/9337908/coronavirus-resource-guide-music-professionals-help.
- Financial: Texas Music Office - https://gov.texas.gov/music/post/assistance-information-and-resources-for-music-industry-professionals-affected-by-covid-19?fbclid=IwAR0Gsl2beUtVCRTwBeLxKJIawN0-eXKO8x2RHRflWrByQ2a1mfJwjKzaM2s
- Financial: American Federation of Musicians - https://www.afm.org/covid-19/
- Services: Start Green, Stay Green - https://www.unt.edu/staygreen
- Services: UNT Food Pantry is CLOSED
- Services: UNT Dean of Students - https://deanofstudents.unt.edu/resources/food-pantry
- Services: North Texas Food Bank - https://ntfb.org/
From the office of Financial Aid and Scholarship
- All UNT students are encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) so they can be made aware of their resources. Often, we hear from students that they do not believe the FAFSA can be completed after the term has begun --- the good news is you can absolutely still complete the FAFSA and use those resources for current educational expenses (i.e. tuition/fees/books/room/board/travel, etc.).
- If students have filed the FAFSA, and need individual assistance, please reach out directly to a member of our Customer Services Team (Daniel Mitchell) so that their financial aid can be reviewed and guidance can be provided.
- If students have not filed the FAFSA, they should reach out as well.
- The Student Money Management Center (SMMC) is UNT’s comprehensive financial and money management education resource for all students. If you have not already taken advantage of the opportunity to reach out and setup a coaching appointment, we encourage you to do so. During this time, students are being encouraged to utilize electronic and virtual resources. You can reach them via email, or by phone to discuss options available.
- If you are living off campus, please take time to reach out to your apartment complex, and any companies where you have bills that are impacting your financial situation. They can confirm what resources are available during this time.
*Required by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools™ (The University of North accrediting body). These classes fall include listings under MUEN, MUCM and MULB to include, but not limited to, the areas of chamber music, choral music, ethnomusicology, jazz studies, opera, percussion, strings and wind studies.
** Required by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools™ (The University of North Texas accrediting body).
*** Zoom is UNT’s preferred video conferencing platform. All UNT faculty (including Teaching Fellows and adjuncts) should already have a UNT ZOOM account set up through CLEAR. https://clear.unt.edu/supported-technologies/zoom
Social distancing - Close contact is defined as: a) being within approximately 6 feet (2 meters) of a COVID-19 case for a prolonged period of time; close contact can occur while caring for, living with, visiting, or sharing a healthcare waiting area or room with a COVID-19 case - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/risk-assessment.html