The U-Tubes Jazz Trombone Ensemble
The U-Tubes consists of 6 tenors and 2 bass trombones with full rhythm section. The ensemble performs new arrangements and original compositions by UNT students and faculty as well as selections from the classic trombone-band literature.
Info For Those Interested in Writing for The U-Tubes:
Instrumentation: 6 tenor trombones (lead line can go up to a D 8VA above middle C, and the occasional high F), 2 bass trombones (can write down to a pedal F), piano, bass, drums and guitar. Think modern, different, swingin' 1:00 Lab Band sounds. Use 1:00 recordings for inspiration and ideas. You can arrange a standard, jazz standard, or compose an original. Here are some other great writers to check out for direction:
- Slide Hampton
- Thad Jones
- Bob Brookmeyer
- Walt Weiskopf
- David Hazeltine
- Bob Mintzer
- Maria Schneider
- etc, etc.
Groups to listen to for trombone-band style and possibilities:
- New York Trombone Conspiracy CD: "A Matter of Time"
- Them Bones CD: "You Asked For It: Them Bones"
- Slide Hampton's World of Trombones CDs: "Spirit of the Horn" "World of Trombones"
- The Capitol Bones CD: "Epistrophy"
- "Cream of the Crop" Bobby Knight's Great American Trombone Company Specifically: "Recuerdos"
(All other charts for trombone ranges and textures)
Send submissions (pdfs) and questions to faculty mentor Tony Baker at Tony.Baker@unt.edu.