The composition program at the University of North Texas is one of the largest and most diverse in the nation, with approximately 70 composition students and seven faculty members representing a variety of compositional aesthetics and approaches. Regular guest composer residencies, visiting new music specialists, and dozens of events each year provide students with a rich educational and artistic experience.
The following degrees are offered through the Division of Composition Studies:
- Bachelor of Music in Composition
- Master of Arts in Music, Concentration in Composition (general track)
- Master of Arts in Music, Concentration in Composition (computer music media track)
- Master of Arts in Music, Concentration in Composition (interdisciplinary track)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Music, Concentration in Composition (general track)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Music, Concentration in Composition (computer music media track)
Both composition and computer music are offered as related fields of study for master's and doctoral students in other degree programs, subject to approval by the major area.
The Bachelor of Arts degree in Music is also an option for undergraduates interested in pursuing composition but with greater curricular flexibility than what is possible in the Bachelor of Music degree. The BA degree is particularly suitable for students interested in supplementing their composition studies with courses in jazz studies, music education, radio/television/film, computer science, business, or any other areas not included in the curriculum for the BM degree in Composition. Please contact the Office for Academic Advising in Music for further information about this option.
For additional information about the composition program, including all policies and procedures, please refer to the Composition Student Handbook. Visit the College of Music Composition website for detailed information about the program.
- Joseph Klein
- Andrew May
- Christopher Moore
- Elizabeth McNutt
- Cindy McTee
- Jon Christopher Nelson
- Joelle Wallach
- James Worlton